New tracking apps and devices are available all the time. You can absolutely use these in your n=1, but they are entirely optional.
The following is a list of my favourite pen & paper tools for tracking. Sometimes these can be just as effective as the newest gadgets. They can be even more effective if you prefer tracking in this way.
- Personal Outcome Recovery Measure This is technically for measuring mental health recovery, but it’s one of my favourite all-around well-being measurement tools. At our house we fill these out every 3 months. For fun. For instructions, see the post I wrote about this scale here.
- EQ-5D Health Questionnaire This Questionnaire is brief, oriented toward people with chronic health conditions, and includes a 0-100 rating for overall health that can be completed quickly, providing a snapshot score that can be compared over time.
- Daily Activity Questionnaire from the Institute for Functional Medicine.
- Soulful Habit Tracker from Danielle LaPorte.
Mental Health & Stress
- Mindful Attention Awareness Scale.
- Personal Outcome Recovery Measure (again, it is designed for mental health recovery, after all).
- Depression Anxiety Stress Scales from the Institute for Functional Medicine & the scoring sheet.
- Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale.
- Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI): The PSQI is designed to assess sleep over the past month. Therefore, an n=1 of longer than 28 days may be required to get results. Scoring the PSQI can be a little confusing at first, just follow the instructions carefully and all will become clear!
- Diet Nutrition Lifestyle Journal (and the accompanying Phytonutrient Spectrum Foods resource sheet) from the Institute for Functional Medicine.
- Food Reintroduction Symptoms Tracker from the Institute for Functional Medicine.
- Assessment of cooking skills. Based on items suggested by Sabrina Ternier in Understanding and measuring cooking skills and knowledge as factors influencing convenience food purchases and consumption.
Pain & Symptoms
- British Pain Society Pain Scales
- Biohack U Weekly Tracking Sheet (pdf) and a word version that you can customize.
What are your favourite tracking tools? Tell me all about them in the comments.